The 15th century Palace has been declared a National Monument and still preserves the untouched beauty of an ancient noble Residence. It oozes romance while the opulently frescoed ballroom and lounge echoes with epic events of the past. Just gliding up the imposing marble staircase; whilst resisting a tap on a cherub’s peachy cheek, feels positively regal.
Ca’ Sagredo’s views of the canal life and the historical Rialto Market opposite are storybook scenes of old. The palace, which originally belonged to the Morosini family, was purchased in 1661 by the ambassador Nicolò Sagredo (who would become Doge 1675-1674).
Zaccaria Sagredo extensively refurbished the palace in the 18th century, with designs by the architect Tommaso Temanza. The interiors were refurbished with the creation of a scenic staircase (1732), designed by Andrea Tirali, and decorated with the Fall of the Giants (1734), a fresco by Pietro Longhi. One guide describes the frescoes with the statement: “Venetians have a habit of “painting the lily and gilding refined gold”, and Longhi’s fresco was not considered de trop”.[4] Two marble cherubs by Francesco Bertos decorate the entrance to the staircase.
The ceiling and wall stucco, marble and glass decorations, and furniture from a bedroom of the Palace, c. 1718, is on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
The hotel’s 42 magnificently appointed rooms and suites are a sight to behold with classic Venetian styling